Well Friends, I’ve had a few frustrations in crafty-land. After weeks of constant work on my dress form (and more money in supplies than I want to add up), it is clear that it is not accurate enough to use. Darn!
The problem was that the form was just too thin to hold it’s shape during the paper mache process. I put the two halves together and they just didn’t match up. I built up more paper mache around the uneven edges and suprisingly the finished form is too small. Could that be shrinkage from drying? The shoulder blades completely collapsed in and the shoulders were uneven. I had not noticed that I hold my right shoulder much higher than my left and although that may be an accurate capture of my current posture, It looks wonky and now that I’m aware I’d rather fix the posture than customize my garments to it.
Honestly, It is pretty close but I want exact. That’s the whole point. I’m lucky enough to have a very consistent shape and I want to use my form confidently. I am thinking that I will do the plaster cast again (Cliffy will not be happy about that) But this time purchase them from a medical supply store for cheaper and pick up a pair of bandage cutting shears. Then I am going to get my hands on some of that expanding polyurethane foam. Fingers crossed.
Frustration number two is my Oona sweater. It seems that my tension increased dramatically while working the charted portion making the side shaping excessive. I knew, intellectually that this would have very little stretch since I’ve done a few fair isle sweaters but I was not prepared for how NOT springy fingering weight is. Even though it’s wool, it is more string-like than yarn-like.
Look how tight those carries are! I actually got stuck after this. You can picture it. Upper arms pinned to my ears, elbows locked, hands flailing uselessly at the wrist. I was all alone in the house. Upside- no one to laugh at me. Downside- no one to help. Eventually I was able to unhinge my shoulder blades just enough to very slowly inchworm my way out .
Crap! I spent a month and a half on this thing. I am not frogging. Instead I cut a bunch of the carries to allow a bit more ease.
Now I can get it on and off but it’s still uncomfortably tight. I am now envisioning an open front cardigan. That’s a reverse for me, turning a pullover into a cardigan. Steeked, and edged with a waist tie would fix the fit problem and still leave me with a nice garment.
My poor hands just have not gotten used to this gauge of work. They are so cramped and achy that I am going to set this project down for awhile. I’m not sure what I will begin on next. Something with high chance of success to re-boot my crafting mojo. Something in at least a DK weight.
Failure is the only opportunity to begin again more intelligently– Henry Ford.